Disclosure Checks (DBS/CRB)
All roles for adults in scouting require a disclosure check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly CRB) and an internal confidential enquiry. Copies of the appropriate forms can be downloaded below.
The Scout Association has an electronic system for processing appointments and disclosure checks, The following process should be followed:
- If you are applying to become an Occasional Helper or to attend an overnight event - download and complete the Adult Information Form and hand to the Group Scout Leader (GSL) References not required.
- If you are applying to become a section leader (or assistant) or section assistant, group executive member, skills instructor or other role - discuss this with the GSL and download and complete the Adult Information Form, hand this to the GSL
- Your disclosure check has expired (after five years) and you need to renew - Contact the GSL
Forms to complete:
Process for disclosure checks:
- Your completed Adult Information Form will be processed by the Group administrator and entered onto the online system
- The applicant will receive an email to the address provided from Atlantic Data requesting the selection of identity documents
- The applicant needs to arrange to meet the Group administrator with the original documents selected
- Once the documents have been checked by the Group administrator the applicant will receive a second email from Atlantic Data requesting them to complete the remainder of the details required by the Disclosure and Barring Service
- The Applicant will receive a certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Suitable ID Documents (Specified by the Disclosure & Barring Service)
You will require a total of three original documents:
Group 1 Documents (please provide three or at least one)
- Passport *
- UK or EU Photocard Driving Licence *
- Birth Certificate (issued within 12 months of birth, i.e. not a recently acquired copy) *
- Adoption Certificate (issued within 12 months of adoption) *
- Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate (issued within 12 months of the event)
* If you have one of these you must present it along with other documents
Group 2 Documents (if you have not provided three Group 1 documents you must provide documents from this group)
- Council Tax statement (within last 12 months)
- Financial statement, e.g. pension, endowment (as above)
- P60 (as above)
- P45 (as above)
- Bank/Building Society Statement (within last 3 months)
- Credit Card Statement (as above)
- Utility Bill (Electricity, Gas, Water) (as above)
- Telephone Bill - not mobile (as above)
NB If you do not have three documents from across both groups please bring along your Adult Information form and we will send you an email from the DBS which will offer you a wider range of documents to choose from)
After your ID documents have been entered you will be sent an automated email to log on to the secure site to complete your DBS application form. Your form will not be processed until you have completed this section. Most checks are being returned within a few days, we will not require any further information unless the Scout Association contacts you directly.